Friday, May 13, 2005

On the PBA's 30th Anniversary

On the PBA's 30th Anniversary

As you probably know by now, I am a HUGE PBA fanatic. I love Samboy Lim and the rest of the San Miguel crew. Up to now, they are still the team that I cheer for. When I was younger, I wanted to work for Vintage Sports just so I could meet The Skywalker in person.

My dream was realized when I started working for PBA Properties, Inc. in 2000, under Ms Princess Galura. I spearheaded the PBA Timeout at SM Supermalls event (at this time, still under my former agency) and it was here that I got to work with Commissioner Jun Bernardino. He is such a charismatic leader. I keep telling him that I would get him as one of my principal sponsors when I get married (Good luck to me!). Commish retired soon after but he will always remain one of my most respected and admired gentlemen of the PBA.

We invited him during the Opening Ceremonies of the PBA's 30th anniversary Photo Exhibit, which is currently running in all the SM malls nationwide. Here is the introduction I wrote just for him...

He was a collegiate player, a PBA coach, TV panelist and the league's executive director. He was someone who came from the ranks, having served under Leo Prieto, Mariano Yenko, Rudy Salud and Rey Marquez. He was the PBA commissioner most loved for his charisma and elegance. During his term, the league went thru some tough challenges including the creation of a rival league. But his leadership and foresight served as the stronghold of the PBA and since 1994, when he was Commissioner of the country's premier basketball league, he has never been forgotten. CHEERS TO MR. EMILIO "JUN" BERNARDINO, JR.

With the PBA's current commissioner, Atty. Emmanuel 'Noli' Eala, you can see me all smiles posing beside the now 'trim' and 'dashing' Commish Jun. I will never forget our first meeting when he said "Ikaw si May? Ako naman si Jun." Astig ka talaga, Commish! See you at my wedding. Hehehe.

No comments: